a great scientist who touched flowers like a child

A few posts back I wrote about the importance of seeing Charles Darwin as a person, as well as a great scientist. Here’s a link to an article that demonstrates his humanity very well indeed. It’s by Ruth Padel, one of Darwin’s many great-great-grandchildren – enjoy.

3 thoughts on “a great scientist who touched flowers like a child”

• Alison Campbell says:

You must spend a lot of time on scienceblogs 🙂
    It’s a bit like the hydra, isn’t it? Cut off one head & more sprout. I noticed one of PZ’s commenters – in the thread about a teacher being pushed to resign because he was an atheist & ‘too liberal’ (whatever that means!) – suggesting that said teacher should use the Right’s academic freedom thing against them. After all, if teachers should have the academic freedom to teach about so-called ‘alternatives’ to evolution, they should also have the freedom to be atheist & liberal…

• “You must spend a lot of time on scienceblogs :-)”
    Hey! You can’t talk! 🙂
    I have been on a bit more that usual: kick-back from being buried under work for the last few weeks, I think.
    That thread on the teacher being hunted out of the school for being suspected of being an atheist is extraordinary. Religious witch-hunting seem seems alive and well in rural corners of the USA. I wonder what teachers here make of it? can’t imagine what it’d be like to be a teacher in rural Texas, if that is in any way typical, or even occasional.